Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Need To Create

There are so many things rattling around in my brain. Ideas, ideas, ideas. You don't have any clue. I can't stop thinking and I have this intense desire to just create and write.

Right now, I am reading 5 or 6 books at the same time, trying to complete a huge gaming project I began many moons ago, blogging, and diving in to writing a screenplay. And this is all on top of my being a family man, a youth pastor and preacher.

Sometimes I want to just ignore the urges, but I can't seem to. So, late at night I sit at my computer and spend time in the books. I mostly fall asleep that way.

My gaming project is called God's Heroes. I am creating a paper and dice, d20 system, roleplaying game for my group of young adult gamers. We usually get together and play the Star Wars Saga Edition roleplaying game or The Lord of the Rings roleplaying game. After all these years of gaming and game creation, I wanted to give them something God-centered that was just as fun. So, I combined the best of all the roleplaying systems I know and I have only a few chapters to go. I have vowed to finish before Christmas and give each player a copy as a gift. The book will end up somewhere around 200 pages.

In case you're wondering, the game's premise is that during the 1,000 year lock up of Satan in the Abyss, the Lord God has sent every demonic ruler, minion, and beast to a new planet he created, called Fallenworld. In a Job-like challenge, Satan predicts that God's creation could never defeat his forces on Fallenworld in a thousand years. So, the Lord God plucks from the earth heroes. He sends them to Fallenworld and gives them a mission to "Go into all the world and slay my enemies..."


The screenplay I'm writing is based on the book Adam by Ted Dekker. I recently went and saw the movie House based on a book by the same author. I was slightly disappointed with the screenplay and the way the director put it all together. I thought it could have been so much better than it turned out. So, that got me thinking about writing a screenplay for Adam. I don't know if anything will become of it, but more about that in a minute...

You can follow my progress on this by visiting here. This is the message board on Ted Dekker's website. Let me know what you think.

Now, I don't know if anything will ever become of most of what I create, except to entertain and inspire those in my social circle and possible a few peepers. But, that doesn't stop me from creating. I can't stop. It's who I have been made to be and I must be it.

What about you? What have you been made to be? I want to encourage you to find out and do it with all your heart. Remember, there are some successes that cannot be measured until 20 years later or beyond. And ultimately, all our works will be tried by fire.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow!Adam was such a deep book. When Becky read it she could not sleep and made Matt check on the kids. I will keep all your ventures in prayer. At 48, I am still trying to figure out what God is going to do with me. My mind goes to different possibilities, but somehow, I never get the time to fulfill them. I think that is my limitations.
For creativity, I am in to scrapbooking my family year to year. That is about it for now.
Sandy

Anonymous said...

Love to see you chasing some big things, James! Even better that you posted on some of these projects so we can hold you accountable!

Just curious who the Sam character will be in "God's Heroes"?

JimmyBob said...

Sam will probably be a halfling, created by the Lord to bring cheer and fine foods to men, as well as remind them of the Lord's ways and keep them in line.

I'm up late tonight again working on God's Heroes. Writing descriptions of weapons and their advantages makes one sleepy. But, I must push through if I am to get this Christmas present delivered in time.

Hey, looking forward to seeing you just before lunch!