Tuesday, December 05, 2006

The Picture Zoom Game

OBJECT OF THE GAME: Be the first blogger to correctly guess what picture this piece is from.

RULES: You may only guess twice. The winner will be declared to be the most brilliant among you. Everyone will be very impressed and see you in a new light.

And the Winner is...Dorsey!!!

"The 3 Wise Men"

"Jesus was born in the town of Bethlehem in Judea, during the reign of King Herod. About that time some wise men from eastern lands arrived in Jerusalem, asking, 'Where is the newborn king of the Jews? We have seen his star as it arose, and we have come to worship him.'" - Matthew 2:1, 2

I am amazed at how determined these Gentiles were in finding Christ to worship him. From eastern lands (probably Arabia) these astrologers or "Magicians" follow a star that seemed to hover over Jerusalem. Somehow, they make a connection that the unusual star signified the birth of someone extraordinary born in the land of Judea.

Many men of eastern religions worshipped the stars. But here the star that could have been misused is put to the right use, to lead men to Christ.

I remember my first spiritual search sitting on top of a snow bank outside my house at Loring Air Force Base, Maine. It was early evening and the stars were bright and scattered across the sky. I looked up into the heavens and prayed this prayer...

"Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight, wish I may, wish I might, wish upon this star tonight."

After whispering those words I thought about the possibility of God and why people were here. I suddenly felt small in the universe, but I knew there must be more to life than just existence.

It was shortly afterward that Christians began coming into our life. First, an evangelism encounter on the street, then an invitation to a friend's church, finally my sister starting daycare at Caribou Assembly of God.

I could go on with the story and give you the details of my conversion, but I'll save that for another time. But, I did want to recognize that it was through the stars that God first began getting through to me. I'm glad I took the time to look up and wonder.

What about you? How were you lead to Christ?

Or maybe you're not there yet and you need a star to show the way. Look up and wonder.

18 comments:

Jason said...

It's from something blurry...

Unknown said...

how about a hint? Is it a classical painting? a children's book? from your church bulletin? what?

JimmyBob said...

It's a scene that has been painted, drawn, sculpted, printed, and acted in many ways. Chances are you probably have several "pictures" of this at your house right now.

Perhaps I should give you two guesses per day. So, don't be afraid to make one.

Unknown said...

Is it the Three Wise Men?

JimmyBob said...

Dorse! You are the Brilliant One! With only 1 guess (not without a clue, however) you have won!!!

That's it, NO more clues in the future. I should have went with my instincts.

Now, I will repost this with the actual picture and start a discussion.

Unknown said...

Take a moment to bow before my brilliance while I decide whether to tell you how I did that.

Anonymous said...

good job Dorsey~as I was going to guess something "Star Wars-ie"
Sandy

Unknown said...

Ok, I'll tell you.

Click on the picture and it appears in a new window. The file name (Wise Men Zoomed.jpg) is embedded in the URL.

You need to change the name of the picture before you upload it.

I'm not really brilliant, just resourceful.

JimmyBob said...

Now, take a moment to bow before my ignorance and stupidity.

That's funny stuff. Here I am trying to crown someone brilliant and it backfires. Oh, well, we'll have to play again. Let's just call this a test run.

Dorsey, I can't believe Jason didn't beat you to it, being the Computer Kid and all.

Now, how did you all come to Christ?

Anonymous said...

Well my story in a nut shell.
Had started dating Carmen~something against the 'rules'as he was a Christian and I was not. Any how, he started to witness to me and invited me to some 'churchy' things and out with his christian buddies and their girlfriends. He invited me to church and after a few times, I heard Pastor Dave Greco preach. All that I remember different about that Sunday night was the way Pastor Dave said "I love you Jesus". Something about the way he said it made me stop and think mid prayer~this Jesus is real like a person. I can say "I love you" to him and he cares. So that night I asked the Lord to come into my heart. That is it.
That dorsey is a sly one!! Would have never thought to click and whatever.
Sandy

JimmyBob said...

That's awesome Sandy! Great testimony. Amazing how simple phrases can change your life.

I called Jason the "Computer Kid." It should have read, "Komputer Kid." "Macs on, Macs off." He is from New Jersey.

Jason said...

Apparently Dorse's brilliant resourcefulness far exceeds my ability to guess faster than him...but I knew that...

I was partially right, wasn't I? It was pretty blurry...

Funny, funny guy...
-Komputer Kid

Unknown said...

I came to Christ by running in the opposite direction. I got as far away as I possibly could, except when I got there, He was there, too.

Jason said...

Um....YOU called me on the phone. The rest is history.

JimmyBob said...

I miss you guys so much. Who knows, maybe we'll all be together again someday.

Jason said...

Ya never know...

ruthrap said...

This is crazy, but my earliest recognition of contacting God was at a very early age........we had a big cement block in our back yard, I used to climb on top of it and preach! The memory of this has never left me..I can still see it and even though I don't remember my "sermons", I know I was conversing with God! I have never told anyone about this until now!

JimmyBob said...

ruthrap, thank you for sharing that. What a great memory.